Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Julia Wedgle, Arts and Sciences, 2015

My mom (J '74, M '79) and grandfather (M '52) are both Tufts Alum. They instilled in me a strong passion for activism and creating social change. I came to Tufts because active citizenship is in its mission statement. However I quickly learned that Tufts as an institution, as a corporation, does not live up to the values in its mission and vision by any means. I will not donate to Tufts until it divests from fossil fuels, tobacco, guns, private prisons, and the Israeli occupation of Palestine. I will not donate to Tufts until it creates sustainable labor policies for all of its workers including its janitors and adjunct professors. I will not donate to Tufts until it actually practices the active citizenship that it preaches. I will not donate to Tufts until it lives up the values that attracted my mother, my grandfather and me to this school in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment