Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Jennifer Baldwin, Arts and Sciences, 2005

It was Tufts that originally inspired me to use my career to address climate change. Through courses like Environmental Biology, I first learned about the problem. I went on to learn about solutions through courses at UEP, work with the Tufts Climate Initiative, and participation in the environmental student group ECO. Today, I work in Washington on international climate policy and finance. I have Tufts to thank for getting me started down this path.

Tufts was an early university leader on climate change and sustainability, but it has fallen behind others since the days of the Talloires Declaration. Divesting from fossil fuels would be a symbol that environmental (and social) responsibility is still at the core of Tufts DNA. Given increasing student interest in the topic, it would serve the university well to take a positive stance on this. Switching investments around wouldn't necessarily result in decreased revenues for the university anyway. 

I strongly urge Tufts to divest from the largest 200 fossil fuel companies so that the university practices what it preaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment